Background to the Project
Craigavon Borough Council secured £5,469,045 for the SPACE project which will refurbish Portadown Peoples Park and Tunnel Area from the Special European Programmes Body (SEUPB) Peace III Priority 2 Contributing to a Shared Society Theme 1 Creating Shared Public Services.
The SPACE Project has two main strands; the refurbishment of the Park and a community engagement programme. The refurbishment involves:
- The construction of an amphitheatre,
- New play areas
- Pavilion building
- Synthetic pitches
- Themed gardens
- Upgrade to the existing pitches.
- The Park will be enhanced through new planting.
- The tunnel area will also be improved as this location acts as a main arrival point for visitors arriving from the train station.
The community engagement programme involves:
- A peace building programme
- Responding to community need and sensitive issues,
- Delivery of an exciting events programme and
- Developing and implementing a creative & informative communication and publicity programme.
It is anticipated that both the refurbishment and community engagement programme will encourage the transformation of the Peoples Park and Tunnel Area into an iconic shared space with improved accessibility and facilities twinned with the programme of events which will establish the Park and tunnel area as a place of note at both local and regional level.